Friday, October 14, 2011

Starbucks Battling

It's not even 7:45 AM and I've already had a ridiculous encounter.  How is this possible?  Upon waiting for my egg white spinach feta wrap (side note: have you had one of these incredibly delicious things? They are hands down my favorite food at Starbucks, fill me up til lunch and are actually really healthy), I picked up the iced coffee in a grande cup waiting on the drinks counter.  As soon as I was headed for the fixins' bar (that stressful, way too tiny counter, where multiple people crowd each other and say "excuse me" repeatedly while they plunge under each other's elbows to grab a straw, a Sweet and Low, the cinammon shaker, or the skim milk thermos), I hear the Drink Maker shout out,

"THAT'S NOT YOURS!" 

I turn around to see what idiot grabbed someone else's drink, and realized he was talking to me.

As soon as I turned around, the Drink Maker, who was definitely a new employee - the rest of them know me by name and even know my order - demanded to know whether I had ordered the "iced red tea."  I had no idea what he was talking about, which answered his question.  Luckily, the customer who ordered the red tea, was much less concerned than the Drink Maker was.  When I handed over his drink and apologized, he said, "No worries. What did you order?"  We then chatted for an entire 45 seconds about our morning ritual drinks and how it was important to order a "Tall" in a "Grande" cup to leave room for the milk, etc.  Perhaps this conversation would have continued if six other people didn't almost knock us over to get to the fixins' bar. 

30 seconds after this, my iced coffee is ready but I don't dare touch it until Drink Maker acknowledges that this is in fact what I ordered.  He gives me a silent nod when he puts it out on the counter and I take it without making any eye contact, thank him (for not screaming at me this time around), and go to doctor it up...only this time, another man has come to fix up his drink and he has barely gotten the lid off his coffee when BAM, the entire thing spills all over the counter and the floor. I don't even attempt to see what Drink Maker thinks of this poor soul.  I immediately grab some napkins and hand them to him and he takes them, still cursing, to clean up the mess. He tells someone behind the counter what happened and they offer to make him a new one, no questions asked.  Apparently spills are expected, but taking someone else's drink order is a crime.

While I was finally done with perfecting my drink, gathering my wrap and maneuvring around the 30 other people that had since entered the store since I arrived, I hear a woman trying to comfort the Drink Spiller.

"It means you're going to have a great day," she says. 

This is ludicrous.  Whoever made up this nonsense is the same person who says that a bird crapping on you means good luck.  Doesn't the actual incident negate the rule?

And those are my deep thoughts on this Friday morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment